I was checking out an old rails 3.2.3 project, and no asset pipeline manifests would render. When I inspected the rendered result for application.css in the browser, I saw the following:
1 2 3 4
The asset pipeline just didn’t touch the file
application.css, same for
No asset pipeline config flag was able to fix this, also
bundle update brought no improvement.
Back then we didn’t write any
.ruby-version file or the like.
So I was using the system default Ruby 2.2.2.
When I wrote a file pointing to Ruby 1.9.3 (to be used by rbenv), everything worked correctly again.
Why there was no error message and the asset pipeline just refused to work is still a mystery to me. Just putting this out there, hoping to save the random googler some time!